Five Little Cupcakes in the Bakery Shop

So, last year I cheated.  I found these cupcakes on Storytime Katie's blog, and I printed them out on cardstock, cut them out, laminated them and stuck a square of velcro on the back.  I was all set for Five Little Cupcakes in the Bakery Shop--and they've served me well.

However, it was time to make a felt set of cupcakes, and with the Flannel Friday Birthday Extravaganza coming up, I decided there was no time like the present.  (Which led me to make a set of felt presents, too--but that's another post!)

So, here are my sprinkle-covered, fancy-papered, puffy-painted cupcakes.  I want to eat them...  They came from a google search of cupcake images.  There are a gazillion, and they made me hungry.



And here's the poem I use with these little sweeties:

Down around the corner at the bakery shop
Were five yummy cupcakes with sprinkles on top
Along came ________ with a dollar to pay
He/she bought a cupcake,  and took it away!
(continue, counting down...)

I usually use a bear puppet and a laminated piece of pretend money, but when my group of kids is small, I have the children come up and take a cupcake.  With the puppet, it's fun to have him eat really messily, but then he starts to get a bit of a tummy ache as he keeps going.  By the end, he's just taking a small bite, and chopping up the last cupcakes to share with the children!

Like this post?  Sign up for my newsletter to get shop updates and all sorts of fun tips on things to do with preschoolers at home or in the classroom:




Flannel Friday is being hosted this week by Mollie at What Happens in Storytime!  You can also find 850,000+ felt and story ideas at Flannel Friday's Pinterest pages, or Flannel Friday's Facebook Page --check them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment