Pete the Cat's 4 Groovy Buttons


Well, I love belly buttons, so I couldn't resist making this story in flannel!  I used the Pete pattern from Make Learning Fun, but made his eyes more like the ones from the book.  "Owl eyes", some of my kids call them :) 

The numbers were based on a google image search for cartoon numbers, which I then printed out and used as a template.  Pete is made of stiff blue felt, and everything else is made of the regular stuff.  I wasn't sure how to make the shirt open only part way. I just glued the top portion and not the bottom, so I can scootch it away to see Pete's belly button.  (It's not perfect--I think I'll have to re-glue occasionally, but it's fine). And then the kids all want to see their own belly button, too, and we have a belly button party!

Felt Pete the Cat

Felt Pete the Cat buttons

(I keep Pete's head and body separate because they are too big for my storage bag if I glue them together.  The kids think it is hilarious when I remove his body from the board when it's time to clean it up!  Wait a minute--what happened???!  Pete's head came off!!  Are you okay Pete??  Yeah, it's all good...)

This week's Flannel Friday is being hosted by Mollie at What Happens in Storytime.  You can also check out all things Flannel Friday related on Pinterest or the Flannel Friday Blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment