Jelly Beans

Felt candy is better for your teeth than the real stuff.  Because you can't actually eat felt.  A fact best repeated multiple times when handing out these jelly beans to two- and three-year-olds.

I've had a Jelly Bean Countdown set for many years, but my jelly beans were made of craft foam, and each bean was about half the size of my thumb.  These new and improved sweeties are each about the size of my hand--a much better visual aid during large groups, and easier for small children to handle as well.  Win-win.




Here are the words to Jelly Bean Countdown:
Jelly Bean Countdown
Five little jelly beans, I wish I had more!
I’ll eat the _________ one
Now there are four!
Four little jelly beans, as tasty as can be
I’ll eat the _______ one
Now there are three!
Three little jelly beans--only a few.
I’ll eat the _________ one
Now there are two.
Two little jelly beans, eating them is fun!
I’ll eat the _______ one
Now there is one.
One little jelly bean--the last one for me...
I’ll eat the _______one
I’m as full as can be!

When I'm working with a very small group, I invite the children to come up and take a bean, subbing their names for "I'll".

Three Green Jellybeans
I don't know where this song came from originally, nor can I share the tune, but here's a variation of a jelly bean song I learned when I taught in Arizona about 20 years ago:

One Green Jellybean 
One green jelly bean down in my belly bean
Giving me a tummy ache
What am I gonna take?
All my friends are telling me
They’ve got the remedy:
Don’t eat the green ones
And clap your hands.

Continue, putting a new color up on the board and changing your movements--clap, jump, turn, roll, etc. 

Flannel Friday is being hosted by Sharon at Rain Makes Applesauce this week.  For more FF fun and information, please visit the blogFacebook page, or Pinterest page!  And share these links with your co-librarians or co-teachers. The more we share, the better!





No comments:

Post a Comment