Halloween Scene

I'm still adding to my collection of sets that children can use independently.  Here's a link to my other sets if you're interested :)
I've got holidays on my mind for some reason!  I think the heat that's finally arrived has me longing for cool fall days.  Halloween, anyone?





In my three year old classroom we sing various Halloween songs and chants, and I think the children will naturally sing them as they play with these pieces.  And of course those children who are a little anxious or fearful about some Halloween-related topics can get a sense of control, as well as time to talk about those fears, as they manipulate this set.

This set is sold out, but lots of other holiday sets await you in my shop. I hope you'll visit me there!

Flannel Friday is being hosted this week by Kathryn at Fun With Friends at Storytime.  Check out the round up there, and don't forget to find more amazing flannel board ideas at Pinterest and Facebook and the Flannel Friday Blog!

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about this- I'd love to have sets children can use independently at my library, along with some guidance for parents (like tips for how to talk with your child and encourage them how to use the pieces to tell a story). How do you use yours in the classroom Wendy? Do you have various sets available all the time, or just one a week?

    -Jessica
    Storytime in the Stacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica--thanks for asking :) The way I use them in my class varies. I have a few small baskets in my book corner, into which I rotate various sets for the children to use. The backing of one of our shelves is a flannel board, and there are also 4 or 5 small lap sized, individual flannel boards here. Sometimes I'm good about switching the sets out every couple of weeks, sometimes the same sets stay out a lot longer... I try to pay attention to what the kids are interested in, and base my selections on that. Sometimes those sets are like this Halloween set and my other "Quiet Sets". Sometimes they are felt sets, or sometimes laminated copies of the sets I use during my story times. It's so amazing to see the kids using these and repeating the rhymes/games/songs we've done...Or better yet making up their own versions!
      I also have a table called the Manipulatives Table. We rotate various manips here (puzzles and other fine motor toys), changing them out every two weeks. Occasionally a felt set, along with a small felt board, are in the rotation. Often these go along with the season and related holidays, or they might be matched up to some other current interest in the room.
      Let me know if that helped or if you have any other questions!
      Wendy

      Delete