Turkeys in spring!


So, after the vendor fair in April, I've been overwhelmingly busy making flannel board stories to fulfill all my orders.  I've been happily cutting away, but I miss producing new stories for my own use.  I have nothing new to post!

I do have a few sets I made long ago that I haven't posted yet, and one of those is this week's installment.  Completely irrelevant at this time of year, but pretty adorable nonetheless.  Here are my Five Fat Turkeys:

And here's a video of how I use the set:




Those guys are too labor intensive to make, so I came up with a simpler set, which is available at my shop!



We used to do this only as a finger play, but I find the addition of these cute turkeys and adorable chef makes it even better... 
Five Fat Turkeys
Five fat turkeys are we. (hold up five fingers)
We slept all night in a tree. (make fingers into fist)
When the cook came around we couldn’t be found. (thumb of other hand looks around the fist)
Hmmmm….Where did all my turkeys go?!  (thumb wiggles as it talks)
Hmph, hmph, hmph, hmph, hmph, hmph, hmph! (thumb stomps away!)
And that’s why we’re here you see, yippee! (open fist so turkeys can cheer!)

You could also start with only one turkey in the tree and sing the song for that one turkey, and then add the other turkeys one by one.

One fat turkey that’s me
I slept all night in a tree
When the cook came around I couldn’t be found
Hmmm…Where did all my turkeys go?
Hmph, hmph, hmph, hmph, hmph, hmph, hmph!
And that’s why I’m here you see, yippee!

Then have that little guy call for another turkey friend to join him in the tree, and so on until all five are in the tree.

We also act this out, with "lots of fat turkeys" hiding in one corner of the room all curled up, and lots of chefs coming to look for them and then stomping away, and then all the turkeys jump up and cheer.  It's awesome.  Especially if you're a pescatarian like me :)

Like what you see?  Click below to get free song strips and lyrics to go with them--perfect to use during circle time and story time, or anytime you need a quick song or game!





Flannel Friday is being hosted this week by Kathryn at Fun with Friends at Storytime.  You can also find lots of wonderful ideas at Pinterest and Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment