Imagination Station

I was a preschool teacher for about 25 years, and in that time I learned so much about preschoolers.  I think one of my most valuable lessons is that children learn best through play.  They are most motivated to stay engaged with something that they have chosen themselves, and that they are interested in; something that they get to start and end when they are ready to do so.
  
I'm a member of several preschool Facebook groups, and I see a lot of questions about how to teach children colors, shapes, numbers, and letters.  As with most things, my answer is "through play".  I could go on and on about this, but instead I'll share this felt set!  


Plugging my shop!  This set and many more are available there :)

Using a set like this is a perfect way for children to learn colors, shapes, and sizes.  It lends itself to building imagination; fine motor skills; and math concepts like sorting and patterning.  But the best part about it is that's it's open-ended fun! 



"Teach" about colors and shapes and sizes as you read awesome books like Lemons are Not Red or Round is a Mooncake, and as you do chants like This is Big --and of course as you interact naturally but intentionally with the children in your care as they play!
 



Amy is hosting the roundup this week.  You can also find tons of ideas at Flannel Friday's Pinterest Pages, the Flannel Friday Blog, and Flannel Friday's Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment